World Heritage Sites recognized by the Unesco in Colombia
Colombia almost on the list of countries with more than 10 World Heritage Sites
With its 16 sites that have been submitted to UNESCO (are on the tentative list) and its 8 recognized sites, Colombia is almost part of the top list of countries with more than 10 World Heritage Sites recognized by the UNESCO. Italy is at No. 1 with 53 World Heritage sites followed by China with 52 sites and Spain at place No. 3 with 46 sites. 30 countries have 10 sites or more, including Latin-America countries Mexico, Brazil, Peru and Argentina.
What is A UNESCO World Heritage Site?
A place in the world with an outstanding universal value which can be a building, statue, city, mountain, lake, forest… which is listed by the UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization).
At July 2017 there were 1073 sites integrated on the UNESCO list: 832 cultural, 206 natural and 35 mixed properties.
On cultural level, Colombia has 5 different sites:
1. Coffee Cultural Landscape of Colombia (2011)
2. Historic Centre of Santa Cruz de Mompox (1995)
3. National Archeological Park of Tierradentro (1995)
4. San Agustín Archaeological Park (1995)
5. Port, Fortresses and Group of Monuments, Cartagena (1984)
6. Chapaq Ñan, Andean Road System (2014)
On natural level, Colombia has 2 sites:
7. Malpelo Fauna and Flora Sanctuary (2006)
8. Los Katíos National Park (1994)
Here are the sites who are on the waiting list:
9. Cultural Landscape of the Lower Basin of the Chicamocha River (2012)
10. Virgilio Barco Library (2012)
11. United Fruit Company Infrastructure (2012)
12. South of Ricaurte Province (2012)
13. Puente de Occidente (Western Bridge) (2012)
14. Canal del Dique - Dike Canal (2012)
15. Chiribiquete National Park (2012)
16. University City of Bogotá (2012)
17. Pre-Hispanic Hydraulic System of the San Jorge River (2012)
18. Tayrona and Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta National Parks and their Archaeological Sites (2012)
19. Tatacoa Desert (2012)
20. Cultural Landscape of Salt Towns (2012)
21. Catholic Doctrine Temples (2012)
22. Seaflower Marine Protected Area (MPA) (2007)
23. Parque Nacional Natural Chiribiquete (1993)
24. Sistema Hidráulico Prehispánico del Río San Jorge (1993)
No plans for your next holiday? Colombia it is!